By Dirck Storm
I was able to demo and play the new Exotics EXS 220 fairway wood at the PGA Show earlier this year. As a professional Club Builder and Fitter , I normally don’t write reviews on the site, my expertise is primarily focused on player testing and crunching the data. Realizing how happy I was while testing the latest from Tour Edge/Exotics – specifically EXS220 3 wood, Jason requested my input on this one. Simply stated, when working with golfers, without a doubt the most difficult club to get right is the long fairway club.
The EXS 220 is loaded with features golfers are looking for: A cup face with Tour Edge’s new Diamond Face technology for added ball speed dual carbon fiber sole construction, adjustable rear weighting for maximum MOI and forgiveness and the sleek slipstream sole design that has become a staple of Exotics fairway metals. A new sound diffusion bar provides proper acoustics at impact. Fujikura’s Air Speeder, Ventus and Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow (my personal choice) are the stock shaft offerings.
Exotics EXS 220 sole features their trademark slipstream rails thatprovide superior turf interaction.
Club Specs :
EXS 220 STOCK SHAFTS
- 85 MPH or Below: Fujikura Air Speeder: Ladies (R3) | Senior (R2) | Regular (R)
- 85-95 MPH: Fujikura Ventus 4T Core: 5-Regular | 6-Stiff
- 95 MPH or Above: Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow: 6.0 Stiff | 6.5 X-Stiff
All Tour Edge Exotics clubs are hand built in the USA at Tour Edge HQ
in Batavia, Illinois and are backed by a lifetime warranty that covers any
manufacturer defects for the life of the product.
There are four things I personally look for in a fairway wood besidesbeing easy to fit and overall performance:
1. It has to set up perfectly square.
2. It has to have the right head shape at address.
3. It has to sound right at impact
4. I want the additional weight options to fine tune everything If there is any detractor with the EXS 220 fairway, it might be the glue-in head for those who prefer to tinker or just to have the ability to switch out shafts instantly. An adjustable loft sleeve would have been a no-brainer for tour level performer like the EXS 220.
The EXS 220 checks all the boxes (minus adjustability). Clean and square at address, crisp and solid sound at impact and distance numbers that are just what you’d want from your 3 wood. Easily workable in either direction, this stick might be your answer for that long sought after fairway club. Available from 13.5 to 21 degrees, this one has that “Wow” factor and packs some value with an MSRP $249.99
For more info: https://shop.touredge.com/collections/exotics-exs-220-family